RETREAT, RALLY, CONNECTION
“We do not provide religious education, but we facilitate spiritual self-discovery.” - a Y.O.U. sponsor
MISSION/PURPOSE OF YOU
OUR OBJECTIVE: is to provide settings in which the principles of Practical Christianity, as taught by Unity, are brought into interaction with life situations through experiential, synergetic learning experiences applicable to daily life. The goal is to provide opportunities for persons to express the spiritually abundant life as taught and demonstrated by Jesus, the Christ.
GOALS OF THE YOU CHAPTER
CONCEPT: The purpose of the YOU chapter is to unify all young people who are seeking to express the indwelling Christ in accordance with the principles of practical Christianity as taught and interpreted by Unity School and the Association of Unity Churches.
- To introduce the individual to Truth principles.
- To help the individual to understand and practice Truth principles in his/her everyday life.
- To involve the individual in actual prayer and meditation experiences.
- To promote the ideal of individuals working together and enjoying fellowship, worship, study and service.
Some functions of the YOU chapter are to:
- Provide a weekly opportunity to explore a concept in Truth.
- Provide an environment of security and safety for the sharing and exploration of feelings.
- Create an atmosphere of total acceptance to help young people establish their own identity, self-worth and confidence, and a feeling of "belonging."
- Help young people explore and seek a set of values FOR THEMSELVES.
- Help students define THEIR OWN purpose for living and develop a method of finding answers to life's complexities.
- Help students develop a sense of interdependence through working together in a supportive, non-critical environment.
- Introduce new ways of communicating with self and others based on the principles of affirmation, denials and beholding the Christ in all people and situations.
- Expose the YOUers to their own personal power through creative self expression and service activities.
The Southeast Region Youth of Unity is the organization of Y.O.U. chapters in the Unity ministries within the Southeast Unity Ministries, Inc. which is affiliated with the Association of Unity Churches.
Southeast Unity Ministries, Inc.: The organization of Unity Churches in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, New Orleans and Metairie LA, the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, and Jamaica.
The Association of Unity Churches International: The international organization of all Unity churches and centers spiritually affiliated with Unity School of Christianity (publishers of Daily Word and home of Silent Unity), but financially and organizationally independent providing support, coordination, and the establishment of Unity churches.
Youth of Unity: The high school youth ministry in Unity and composed of youth 14 through 18 years of age.
OVERVIEW OF THE SOUTHEAST REGION YOUTH OF UNITY
The Southeast Youth of Unity is composed of YOU chapters which have two or more high school youth and one or more adult sponsors under the auspices of a ministry which is a member of the Association of Unity Churches.
A Youth of Unity group or YOU is started in a ministry when there are two or more high school youth. The minister/ministry appoints an adult sponsor to lead and guide the group. The minister/ministry also contacts the regional youth consultant to help train and support the new youth group and sponsors.
The regional youth consultant is appointed by the Southeast Regional Board of Ministers to support, train and consult with regional officers and adult YOU sponsors in member churches.
Please read the Youth of Unity Resource Manual available through the Association of Unity Churches for more information on how to start a YOU group, sponsor job descriptions and support systems, how to create and present lessons, and to learn more about international activities.
“In a completely rational society the best of us would aspire to be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have.” - Lee Iacocca